Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yeah, I Cried in Target...So What????

Hi,
My name is...well you don't know that nor do I want you to. But, I cried in Target yesterday. I know, at first it sounds pathetic. Don't pretend you haven't done the same thing (or something very similar). No, I wasn't crying at the adorable new Calypso St. Barth for Target clothing collection. I had a full on legitimate meltdown in the book aisle. I went into what Oprah refers to as "the ugly cry".

For those of you that have been following me, you might think I'm cray cray. But I'd like to assure you that in real life I'm actually a fairly stable, responsible woman. I make remarks in jest about men and recreational activities but underneath it all I'm very passionate about life- in particular my work.

Lets back up so I can set the scene about how the Mariah TRL/Britney Shaving Her Head moment went down for me. It's a regular Tuesday afternoon and I realize that I've run out of dish soap. Having seen it on sale in the Target circular I decided that I would procure it there. Innocuous enough, right? Wrong! How many times do YOU go into Target for one thing and leave with next week's paycheck worth of stuff. I'm a marketer's dream and am attracted to all of the bright, shiny signs (particularly the ones that say "sale"). I happened to meander over to the book section to look at Real Housewives of New Jersey's Teresa Guidice's "Skinny Italian" book because I needed to get some new ideas for a dinner party I'm throwing. Low and behold there's a book on the shelf that has a title similar to one that I've been working on for two years. I l-o-s-t my shit. I started breaking down with a cart full of Glade candles and greeting cards right there. I was inconsolable. I finally had to retreat to the dressing room to collect myself and wipe the tears away. I was finally about to go back to the book section and actually look at the book. Turns out, it has absolutely nothing to do with mine. Relief!

I called a friend to tell them this story thinking it would be a funny anecdote we could tell at cocktail parties and her response was "why do you care so much?" I started to think about it. Do I care too much or do other people not care enough? All I want in life is to fulfill my passion and be creative. Why is it wrong to take that so seriously? Isn't it the people that sacrifice and that have tunnel vision the ones that succeed? Why should I be so blase about my future?

Here it goes. I'm not normal. I don't want to be normal. I don't want a job that will get me by in life. I want the roller coaster. And here my "friend" is basically telling me that I'm making myself crazy and it isn't worth it. Well, I totally Varsity Blues-ed her ass and told her "I don't want your life" (not nearly as passionately as James Van Der Beek had done it but I gave it my best shot). I would gladly cry at Target, Best Buy, or Whole Foods and feel that disappointment and go for my dreams instead of living a life of mediocrity.

Do YOU chase your dreams everyday? If not you should...and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. Suck that The Secret (which is available at Target by the way).
XO,
Wannabe

No comments:

Post a Comment